Monday, March 5, 2007

The REAL Last Post

Hey!

T.O. has been a great topic for this novel, just because it's all it's talking about. After reading all your posts, I can only say that my first statement is solid as ever.

As Tom leads the group, it seems that he does not think about himself, rather the men and women he leads. I think that it is however, false. I think he feels the need to redeem himself, he has had some harsh times and to fit back in, Tom uses his past to contribute to the group. He wants to achieve some spiritual good in himself, so I believe, that is why he has taken the grand task of leading his people. When he leads them, the people also see in him a desire. Perhaps not all of them know his true desires, but the strong, solid desire inspires and allows them to move on. Though they may have different goals, they all have the same desire to do something, there for bonding them. Just as humans in real life has.

World War 2 is just another example, countries bonded together to fight their enemies, but then if you think about it, they all have the same desire to defeat the other party, there for not only connecting those countries who are allied, but connecting them to the enemy. There was a TV movie on Global that used to play every Christmas, or Christmas eve, called "Silent Night," (http://imdb.com/title/tt0338434/). It's a fact-based World War II story set on Christmas Eve, 1944, where we find a German Mother and her son seeking refuge in a cabin on the war front. When she is invaded by three American soldiers and then three German soldiers, she successfully convinces the soldiers to put aside their differences for one evening and share a Christmas dinner. We may get the impression that the two sides may have hated each other, but the two sides are basically the same. In that movie, you can see that both the Americans and Germans have same interests, hobbies, and even sing together depite the fact they are on the opposite sides in the bloodiest war of Earth's history. A true sign of T.O.

I highly suggest watching the movie.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0032551/

I've seen it when I was around eleven years old, but even then, the movie had a huge impact on me. It may sound funny, but I always get flash back to certain scenes of the movie during my life like a Deja-vu. I can't name any the top of my head, but when you guys get a chance, you have a feeling that you can't help thinking it's some how directly related with you, forming sort of a bond.

2 comments:

RyanVP said...

Your comment that Tom is seeking to redeem hiimself is an interesting one. Is it possible that when he is truly redeemed, he is free to leave, as he does in the book?

Unknown said...

I don't know if Tom can ever truly redeem himself even if he had the chance because I don't think there ever was a chance for him. He's going to keep going thinking that no matter how much he does, he can't make up for all the things he did.