Sunday, March 11, 2007

Emerson on Literature

Seeing as how this will likely be my last post, I thought that I'd close with a quote by Ralph
Waldo Emerson, the father of T.O. himself. It runs- "In the highest civilization, the book is still the highest delight. He who has once known its satisfaction is provided with a resource against calamity."

This really illustrates what The Grapes of Wrath is all about. Literature one of the purest forms of communication, and it seems obvious that both Emerson and Steinbeck placed an extremely high value on the written word. It is thus fitting that Grapes has become likely the most well known example of T.O. in literature.

That's all I'm likely to have time to put in today, and I believe that the blog is due in tomorrow. It's a shame that we didn't have much time to post in the last week, but we still touched on some good topics.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sweet. It's what it's all about. T.O.